Wednesday, May 16, 2007

apologies

I did something terrible today and I feel like an awful person. So, I would like to send out this apology into space, knowing that it may never reach the person but hoping that if I apologize somewhere, she will feel forgiveness from some collective consciousness.
Today it rained very hard and the streets were full of puddles. I was driving home and after veering to avoid a huge puddle, I naturally began to veer back to the appropriate lane. I did not make the connection that the girl walking on the sidewalk would be splashed by the car as I passed and I realized it a second too late. I splashed her, and a feeling of remorse swept over me as I looked back at her staring after my car, indignant, angry and annoyed. I fully understand the girl's frustration since I am a pedestrian myself (the car was borrowed) and I detest it when cars drive by with no regard to the splash they make on those on the sidewalk.
I apologize with all my heart. Please forgive me.

2 Comments:

At 1:27 AM, Blogger Dalbanese said...

Though maybe the reason you feel badly is for having been part of the cause of this girl's temporary anger at the world, and that won't be changed by this, I personally try to make light of car-soaked-person situations. I envision it happening to me as some sort of karmic payback or just silly slip-up in the world, and it makes for a great story, as long as you tell it with a smile on your face as opposed to starting "you'll never beeeelieve what some asshole did to me today!" Perspective, perspective, perspective.

 
At 12:58 AM, Blogger leah v said...

That's exactly why I feel bad-there's enough wrong in the world that that girl doesn't need one more reason to dislike humanity. This is why I feel terrible, because I don't want her to dislike humanity.
It is all about perspective; but it's easy to think that drivers do this sort of thing on purpose, and it's hard to laugh at someone who purposefully ruins another's day (even though of course this may not have been the intention).
Lots of things should be laughed at, to keep us humans from going sour.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home