Tuesday, March 28, 2006

getting adjusted






yesterday i set off the alarm in my house. i knew that i had 40 seconds to leave but i didn´t know that when i entered and no one´s home, i have 40 seconds until it goes off. so i set it off. my mom came home soon afterward and i didn´t know how to say that i set it off, so i thought everything would be fine if i didn´t tell her. some time later the phone rang and it´s my sister wondering what´s going on. apparently when the alarm goes off, it sends a signal to the cell phones of my 3 siblings and my dad. my mom told me a story of another student they had who set off the alarm and all the kids came home, the police came, the neighbors came...what a disaster. thankfully, nothing really happened in my case. the funny thing is that i had been discussing with my host brother the verb ¨soñar¨which is to dream and i asked him if there was a verb with sounds, like to sound. he said no and then yesterday i told him i looked for it and there is one, it´s ¨sonar¨ and my professor had used it that morning and he thought about it and said, ¨oh, i need to learn spanish.¨ anyway me setting off the alarm gave them a chance to use the word ¨sonar¨because that´s what my mom said the alarm was doing. so you see, i did it on purpose to show them that in fact, the word sonar is commonly used.
this is all goofy stuff, i have better material but not time right now to write it. chao!

1 Comments:

At 9:16 AM, Blogger leah v said...

learning spanish online is certainly an option. but online all i get is the language. and what i want is the culture. i don't learn a language just to speak it to myself. travelling opens my mind and opens up opportunities for intercultural sharing. please see later posts in june and july about language.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home